Friday, February 8, 2013

Months of busyness

With my part-time job and part-time teaching and this and that, I have woefully neglected this delightful gem of a blog. No more! My new year's resolution may be over a month late, but it's never too late to get back to spamming the internets with my mindless musings.

What have I been up to?
Undergraduate teaching to wonderful first years.
An University internship
Voiceover shenanigans



What is this internship?
It's all about sustainable development (SD) and seeing where SD exist in the formal curriculum (e.g. taught units). And SD isn't all about climate change, it can include economic, political and cultural aspects. So things like lawyers addressing human rights, or the economic collapse and protecting underwater cultural heritage sites - that all fits in with the UNESCO definition of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD).

My job is to track any and all aspects of ESD, show it to lecturers, see if they want to develop more, and if so, provide them with appropriate resources. Of course, it gets more complicated when you start delving into University policy and strategy. But, goodness if it doesn't get me thinking! Also, working for the University is awesome.

I've placed resources for ESD online here: http://bristol.academia.edu/AislingTierney and here: https://wikis.bris.ac.uk/display/BristolESD/ESD+at+Bristol

Voiceover shenanigans?
I did a voiceover recording for an American company that creates applications for language learning. My job was to read out over 3000 words and phrases in Irish, all with consistent tone, pitch and pace. Even I got tired by the end of it! I also did a TV advert voiceover for Rehab Charity Ireland - it is very strange to hear my own voice on the telly but great fun, and working in studio is always a change from the norm.

That's it?
I have also been dedicated in procrastinating on my PhD. I've seen more than my fair share of folk events and Morris Dancing. I attended a potato fair in Bristol in honour of the mother land. And I flew back to Ireland for my cousin's wedding, Christmas and the best New Years I've had in a while.

Pics or it didn't happen.
How about a picture of one of the best moments of 2012? The time I met Q from Star Trek, the legendary John De Lancie. He is the definition of a magnificent bastard.
He signed it *swoon*



No comments:

Post a Comment