Friday, June 20, 2014

June is for winning and scanning

Last week I conducted a 3D laser scan of the Hell-Fire Caves at West Wycombe. We took millions upon millions of data points and the full extent is so epic it deserves proper reflection and a proper write up - so expect that soon. And again, a super huge thanks to the British Geological Survey for making my laser scanning dreams come true! They are absolute legends and a pleasure to work with. And to the cave owners and staff - a massive thanks for allowing me unfettered access and for being so welcoming.Here's a teaser behind the scenes shot:
Lee from the BGS using the Faro 3D laser scanner at the Hell-Fire Caves
June was also a good month for awards - my supervisor and I were just awarded a University Teaching Development Grant for my projects involving social media embedded within the annual Berkeley Castle Project. This follows an award from the University's Green Apple Scheme for a community engagement and ethics project (also embedded within the BCP) - I'm in the process of drafting the evaluation for this and the second part of the award will see me set up a temporary exhibition around the town of Berkeley.

Plus, (yes, even more!), I was shortlisted for a University Award for Enhancing the Student Learning Experience - and received a commendation. Quote from Professor Judith Squires, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education):
"...you clearly have excelled in your role and the contribution you have made in promoting the University theme of Education for Sustainable Development, in both transformative and innovative capacity, is very much appreciated. On behalf of the University I would like to formally commend and convey our gratitude to you."
I've also joined the REACT team and will be testing a multimedia object box in a school next week. Read more about the project here: http://www.react-hub.org.uk/objects-sandbox/projects/2014/reflector/

No comments:

Post a Comment